Skip to main content

What Are Your Career Goals Interview Question and Answers



In this post,we're going to talk about career goals interview question ans answers. Now that question can take different forms. Usually,just as what are your goals it might be that what is your five-year goal or three-year goal what have you. Regardless of how the question is asked.I think your answer needs to fit within a certain box if you will and that is to convey to the employer.

First of all that you'll look to come in and do a good job right off the bat but that over time based on your accomplishments and your proven skills that you would hope to be considered for future positions not based on seniority but based on productivity and then I would turn it around at the end and ask them the employer that is what they saw perhaps as some of the longer-term opportunities for somebody who comes in and does a good job here so let's put that into practice question is again mid-career person they're saying what are your five-year goals or what do you what are your longer range goals I would say well first of all my short-term goal is to come in and be productive I think given my past experience, my education and my training that I fully expect to be able to do that now. Over time as I demonstrate what I'm capable of doing and handling I would hope that as opportunities have presented themselves I'd hope to be considered for those based on what I've shown I can do,let me ask you what do you see as the long-term potential for somebody coming in and who does a good job in this position? So that's one way to handle that question.

again as a mid-career person you have a track record as opposed to maybe somebody coming straight out of college and to a degree or defined by where you've been and what you've done and people use that either as a key to open opportunities for you because on paper they say hey this fellow has been here and done it or they look at you and sort of throw up a wall and say well gosh you know you've always worked let's say in health care and we're in let's say education or we're in manufacturing or we're in some other industry and so you get kind of pigeon-holed for better or worse many times based on where you've been.

In asking about goals that question also can serve to put a wedge in there if what you do is come in and name a specific title or even a time frame for reaching, that I think that's suicide. In an interview you just don't want to do that you put a wedge in there and now you've set forth something that's let's say unattainable,I would know I'm the employer and I know in three years you're not going to be in that position in part because I want that job and unless I'm out you're not going to get it. So don't name time frames and really stay away from titles.

Talk somewhat in generalities like "hey you know what I want to be promoted based on what I've shown I can handle" and then turn that around and ask the employer you might be surprised what you learn and based on what they're telling you that'll give you a sense whether it's accurate or not it's a different story but that will give you a sense as to how often they promote from within,what's the opportunity for growth? And depending on how many job opportunities you're weighing that might be a determining factor to say that this company promotes from within looks like some great opportunity for growth. You can also say "hey you know what this job may not be the ideal job for me today but if I do a good job I can really see growth".
That may be a selling point for you on the other hand if somebody would you know die in that job and you know who knows at that point you say this may not be the job for me but at least you have information on which to base a decision.
Thanks for reading and don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter.
Others are reading
Good Reasons For Leaving a Job

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Master the STAR Method For Interview Questions

In this article,you are going to learn how to answer STAR interview questions. I'm basically going to give you a tutorial on what STAR is, how to create your responses, and I'm also going to give you a number of sample interview questions, but more importantly, I'm going to give you some cracking answers to all of the questions. So please read from beginning to end. First and foremost, what is STAR? What does it mean? Well basically, these kinds of questions are called situational questions or behavioral. So what you're doing is you're answering the questions using the STAR technique. Okay? So what do I mean by that?Star stands for situation, T-task,A- action,R- result. And it means that you answer these interview questions in detail and you give them a specific answer where you've actually done it before. Now, the reason why interview panels will ask you these questions is they want to see evidence of where you've already done this kind of thing. S

Resume Formats

Do you know that there are three different formats of a resume? Do you know the structure  of each format? Do you know which format applies to you? Well, in this short post, I'll name and describe the formats. I'll tell you which format applies to you and I'll show you how easy it is switching between the formats. There are three recognized formats of a resume, chronological resume, functional resume and combination resume. A chronological format is the most common resume format and is designed for someone with employment experience who also has an unbroken work history. This is because the current and previous work history is considered the most relevant by the applicant. At the very top of the resume are the Name, Address & Contact Details. Then the Employment Details which may include voluntary details. Followed by the education details, certification details, qualification details, achievement details and accomplishment details. A functional resume format is i

Cover Letter Templates

Do you need a great cover letter to back up your resume? Are you wondering what you're even supposed to say in your cover letter to effectively communicate what you have to offer? If so, read on, because in this post, you'll learn five cover letter hacks that will help you set yourself apart and sell your best self and if you're looking to land that ultimate role make sure you read to the end to learn how you can land the position you've always wanted. The dreaded topic of cover letters. I get questions all the time about cover letters. "Do I even need a cover letter? "What am I supposed to say?" "How do I write one that helps me stand out?" The thing is... Cover letters are still used by hiring officials to make decisions like who they should bring in for an interview or what type of compensation package should they offer the potential employee. Now you won't need a cover letter in every situation, however having one ready to go will elim